Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why am I not surprised?

Teen told to 'burn' for McCain T-shirtPeers call 8th grader 'stupid,' say she should be 'killed' for supporting Republican

Posted: November 13, 200810:30 pm Eastern© 2008 WorldNetDaily

When a 14-year-old girl wore a "McCain girl" T-shirt to school, students told her she should be "crucified" or "burned" for supporting the Republican – but when she wore an Obama T-shirt, everyone complimented her.

Illinois 8th grader Catherine Vogt's mother supported Obama, while her father supported McCain. The teen conducted an experiment to test tolerance among her peers and teachers, the Chicago Tribune reported. But she was surprised by their strong reactions.
Vogt began the experiment by wearing a white T-shirt with "McCain girl" painted in red across the front to Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School in Oak Park. She wrote her observations in a journal.

"I was just really curious how they'd react to something that different, because a lot of people at my school wore Obama shirts and they are big Obama supporters," Catherine told the Chicago Tribune. "I just really wanted to see what their reaction would be."

The students were openly hostile, criticizing her support for McCain.

"People were upset," Vogt said. "But they started saying things, calling me very stupid, telling me my shirt was stupid and I shouldn't be wearing it."

The harsh words didn't stop there.

"One person told me to go die," she said. "It was a lot of dying. A lot of comments about how I should be killed."

Even Vogt's teachers chimed in.

"In one class, I had one teacher say she will not judge me for my choice, but that she was surprised that I supported McCain," the teen said. "Later, that teacher found out about the experiment and said she was embarrassed because she knew I was writing down what she said."
cont'd--->

All those students and teachers that harrassed this girl should be ashamed of themselves. Is this the new liberal tolerance? Living in the SF bay area I see a lot of liberals that drive around with that bumper sticker that says "Mean people suck." I guess they were talking about themselves.

2 comments:

highboy said...

Teachers are even worse. You see it happening all over campuses and now even in public schools, teachers letting their political persuasion influence their students. Public school is a sham anyways, and this is only another bi-product. Love those "tolerant" liberals.

Mike said...

I think people can definitely go over board and it's even worse when it's teachers who should be the leaders of example. I understand people can react however they like, but we've done 1000's of custom t-shirts like this and in most cases it's not to cause any trouble but to represent their freedom of speech in a fun way.

Mike
Custom T-Shirts